Sunday, January 17, 2010

Blame It On The Pop

Today's Song: United State Of Pop 2009 - Blame It On The Pop by DJ Earworm

I've recently gotten into remixes. It all started back when I was walking around the San Francisco Virgin Megastore a couple of years ago and I put on some headphones to listen to The Killers' new B-side-filled album, "Sawdust." I saw on the track listing a remix of Mr. Brightside by Thin White Duke (Stuart Price). I was intrigued, so I checked it out. To this day it's still probably my favorite of any remix I've ever heard, though that's hard to definitively say. 

After that day, I started to listen to more remixes. There are a lot of poorly done remixes out there, but every so often you run into some real treasures: M83's remix of Bloc Party's The Pioneers, Hellogoodbye's Here (In Your Arms) [Club Mix], Enmass's remix of Imogen Heap's Hide And Seek, Owl City's Hello Seattle [self-remix], or Shiny Toy Gun's Don't Cry Out [Teenager's Remix]

Then remixes led to mashups: multiple songs re-edited and spliced together into one. Mashups, to me, can be more impressive because of the difficulty of combining songs of different keys, tempos, and forms. They're different from remixes in that mashups don't usually change the original mix of the songs they're splicing, but when they're done right I tend to like them better. Imagine this: Green Day, Oasis, Travis, and Aerosmith (technically Eminem's sampling of Aerosmith; but really, there's not really much Eminem there) all in one song. What do you get? A Wonderwall Of Broken Dreams. And if you think that's impressive, try 2009's top 25 pop hits all combined into one, 4 and a half minute segment of complete sweetness. You can hardly believe it, and you can't not like it.  

NOTE: My brother was the one who originally showed me this song. Just thought I'd give credit where it's due...

2 comments:

  1. Fun stuff Cody. That mashup (new word for me ... thanks) of 2009's top 25 pop hits is definitely impressive and hard not to like. I haven't heard most of the other remixes you mention but would be happy to. I'll ask Camden to introduce me. Hope your day is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh... read the whole thing looking for a shout-out for telling you about this song... but I DIDN'T FIND ONE. You're fired.

    Hahahaha jk man -- always a pleasure to read your blog and listen to the songs, if not for the first time then to at least remind me of some good ones.

    ReplyDelete