Saturday, December 12, 2009

Down Tempo

Song Of The Day: Run Honey Run by Morcheeba (listen to 2nd one down)

When I first started listening to music on my own in my preteen years, I think most of what I listened to was pretty mainstream. The first mix anyone made me had Train's Drops of Jupiter, Big Pimpin' by Jay-Z, and Iris by Goo Goo Dolls, among other well-known tracks. The first album I ever bought was Linkin Park's "Meteora." 

Although I still listen to much of that early stuff, I'm glad my taste has broadened. Part of what's so great about music is that there's so much of it: I'm continuously amazed that in my perpetual search for more good music, I always find some, and often in new subgenres I haven't previously explored. You'd think that at some point there'd be none left, that eventually I would've found it all or at least be caught up until the next release of something new that's good. But while I suppose maybe one day that's possible, it hasn't happened yet. Until then I'll continue to enjoy exploring new horizons. 

Anyways it was just the other day that I wasn't even looking for new music when I was introduced to the genre of downtempo music. Really great stuff. I have to admit I didn't much like it at first, but, as is often the case, it grew on me. I was hanging with some newly-made friends who are into that stuff and so I started listening to it, because they were listening to it. The music was so relaxed, and so I too became relaxed. The beats offered a kind of chilled-out catharsis that I've never heard before - as in a Bob Marley type of chill, but with Moby-like house/electronica and the expansiveness of Bjork added to the mix. (Now before I go any further, let me say that although you may not be a fan of any of these artists - I used to not like any of them - try and keep an open mind). Some music pumps you up, some makes you cry, and some just makes you feel alive - the best way I can describe downtempo (and I mean the good stuff; every genre has its ups and downs) is as a kind of healing for the soul. And as corny as that sounds, which it does a little even to me, it couldn't be truer.

Those of you who think you've never heard downtempo music before, think again. Massive Attack's Teardrop has played on several TV shows including "Grey's Anatomy" and  "The Unit;" Zero 7's In The Waiting Line was in the film The Garden State. In fact downtempo music is actually fairly commonly used for TV and film, because it works well with those mediums. One of my favorite downtempo tracks is a song by Morcheeba called Run Honey Run. (Listen to the second one down - the first one is actually not the real song; it's the right description but for the wrong song). I was falling asleep listening to a downtempo playlist online when I first heard this song, and although I was almost asleep, I remember keeping myself awake so I could hear the whole thing. I liked this one pretty much right away. Give it a listen and, should you feel so inclined, let me know what you think.

NOTE: Any of the above mentioned artists and tracks can be listened to, for free, at Grooveshark.com 
It's a great website that I just recently discovered. Kind of like Pandora, but better because you can either choose every track or let the website's radio choose. Plus you can make your own playlists etc etc. It's good so check it out.

And, just to clarify further, the Morcheeba song does feature Bradley, but THE ONE YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO IS THE 2ND ONE DOWN ON THE LIST - the one that doesn't actually say "feat. Bradley." The 1st song on the list, which does say it, is not the correct song.

No comments:

Post a Comment