Monday, December 14, 2009

More Evermore

Song Of The Day: Hey Boys And Girls (Truth Of The World Pt. 2) by Evermore

So I'm in the middle of finals right now - pretty much pretty busy. But I was listening to Evermore's latest album, "Truth Of The World: Welcome To The Show," while studying and heard this track: Hey Boys And Girls (Truth Of The World Pt. 2). It's their most successful single to date and I thought it was decently catchy. It's poppy, but I like that it's also kind of different from most pop songs. The whole album is kind of a social commentary, and this track fits right in with its discussion of celebrity obsession and the myriad things all vying for our attention. Most of the time I tend to steer away from that sort of thing but I can't help but love this album, and I'm not exactly sure why yet. 

In a way it kind of reminds me of Radiohead's "Kid A" - of course the records are two stylistic worlds apart, but to me they both imbue a common sense of departure from their band's original style. "Kid A" was of course a more drastic and impactful departure - and probably much more difficult to digest - but...still. I dunno. I guess it's apples and oranges here, because "Kid A" was really a big milestone for the entire genre while "Truth Of The World: Welcome To The Show," though an excellent album, just wasn't, or isn't yet (though I doubt the future holds any promise). I guess all I'm saying is there's a loose similarity between the two. But I would definitely recommend you give both a listen at some point, if you haven't already, because they definitely merit it.


Some other tracks I'd recommend off the Evermore album:

Join The Party 

Everybody's Doing It 

Front Page Story / Diamonds In The River 

Plugged In

No comments:

Post a Comment